Welp folks… my 7 month free for all is officially over. And I’ve got the love handles to prove it.
I stepped on the scale today, the first Friday after the holidays, and the number was NOT pretty. I don’t even want to tell you what it was. It hurts my feelings.
I know this is a weight
loss struggle blog and all but I think I’m going to keep that number under wraps until my first weekly weigh in next Friday. That way I have an opportunity to redeem myself a bit. I also need to take my before pictures. I’ve recruited my friend who is an amazing photographer to officially do it on a monthly basis. I did this for three reasons…
1. I don’t think it’s a good idea to have my daughter take my pictures anymore. She’s at a sensitive age and I don’t want her to see me pay so much attention to my aesthetics like that. I don’t think it’s fair.
2. This way nobody can steal my before and after pictures (again) because she will be putting a watermark on them.
3. If I have a date for a photo shoot once a month I will be less likely to justify not staying on track. (Wearing booty shorts in your own house is one thing. Wearing them at someone else’s house is a whole other thing.)
So in preparations for this new change I did what any good American would do. I ate everything I’m not going to be allowed to eat. On New Year’s Eve Brent and I celebrated during the day because he had to work on New Year’s Day. We took care of all of the food categories that I am extinguishing from my life.
And by food categories I mean alcohol and greasy bar food…
Yes, I bought a box of wine.
I bought it when I went on break from school and I tried my darndest to drink it all during the holidays. But I just couldn’t quite do it. I’m not an alcoholic, I just don’t like being told I can’t do things… even if I am the one who says I can’t do it.
I would not have reacted kindly to the prohibition…
Funnily enough, more of that wine was dumped out due to the fact that I would pour a glass and forget about it instead, opting for something a bit more hydrating. I’ve got to get a handle on my bratty ways because there is quite a bit that I am going to have to forgo in order to reach my goals.
I woke up on New Year’s Day excited but kind of confused. I knew what I needed to do I just didn’t know where to begin. As I stood in my kitchen pondering what to eat I looked out the window and saw my good luck charm floating in the air.
I took that as a sign that great things were in store for me this year. Shortly after I made breakfast for Penelope and I before heading for the grocery store.
I didn’t really know where to start at the grocery store. I didn’t want to go overboard buying stuff just because it was healthy. So I just stuck to my staples for when I’m not sure what to make in an attempt at eating clean… veggies to roast and meat to grill.
This first week is going to be the hardest because I’m not going to be allowed to listen to my body until it has undergone a detox. It’s going to tell me I “need” things that will sabotage me until I clean out my system. That is why I’m going 100% for 6 weeks. I need to reset my mind and body.
Working out isn’t hard to me, I enjoy it. The hard part is figuring out what to eat.
Here is a list of my favorite food blogs for picking out simple yummy meals that will help me lose weight.
1. Skinnytaste– When I’m first starting out on eating right I usually pick most of my meals from Skinnytaste.com. She has all of the nutrition information readily available. She even calculates Weight Watcher’s points for those of you who use that program.
Anytime I make something healthy and yummy Brent automatically assumes I got the recipe from Skinny Taste because it is so family friendly.
2. Pinch of Yum– Lindsay, the blogger of this site doesn’t claim to be a health site. However, she has a love for clean healthy foods. You can tell just by looking at her that she lives a clean balanced life.
Plus, she makes food interesting. I plan making several of her salads during the weekend and turning them into mason jar salads for lunches throughout the week. I also like the way she has her recipes organized, you can find what you are looking for in a snap.
3. Iowa Girl Eats– I’ve referred to this blog several times. Once again, Kristin, the blogger is not a “health” blogger but she strives to live a healthy balanced life as well. This means that the majority of her recipes are “diet” friendly.
Kristin is responsible for creating my all time favorite kale salad recipe and my go-to chicken harvest soup recipe as well. Plus, any time I email her with blogger questions (like is it normal for bloggers to get their faces stolen on the internet?) she’s always willing to give me some good advice and support.
Staying motivated is another factor that I have a problem with. I am really good at negotiating. I can justify just about anything. Therefore, it helps me to look outward to other healthy lifestyle bloggers to see how they go about their daily lives. Because lets face it… the only reason you read this blog is because I’m like a cross between your best friend from high school and a pirate. It may not be motivating but it can be entertaining simply because you have no idea what might come out of my mouth (or fingers).
My favorite (Legit) Healthy Lifestyle Bloggers…
1. Kath Eats Real Food– Kath is kind of perfect and sometimes it gets on my nerves because… well… I’m not. BUT at the same time I love reading her posts and seeing how she keeps her shit together because she shows that it is possible.
Plus, her life is just so picture perfect you can’t help but enjoy it.
2. Carrots N’ Cake– Tina is another blogger who you kind of want to punch in the face simply because she just had a baby and still has amazing abs. She claims to have been fat at one point but I’m not sure I believe her.
She blogs about her daily life which usually includes balancing motherhood with eating healthy and working out.
3. Fitnessista– This is another blogger who shows you how to go about your daily life in a happy healthy way.
Her husband is in the military and it seems like every time I check in on her she is moving somewhere else. But she always just seems to go with the flow and continues to carry on with her healthy lifestyle.
All of these blogs have aided in helping me gain perspective while I try to lose weight. To be honest, when I have been the most successful I had taken the time to check in on these blogs. They have helped me gain perspective throughout the process.
I hope they help you get motivated for any changes you may hope to make during the New Year!
I’ll be writing a post soon on meal prep… something I’m going to have to conquer since I work full time now.
2 thoughts on “Blogs That Help Me Stay Motivated”
Great list!! I am struggling with weight loss too, so this was a great read.
I am so relieved you’ve decided to get back on track! You’re kinda my weight loss twin, in case you didn’t know, and I can’t seem to get it together unless you are. I also took a half year break and have at least 15lbs to show for it. So thank you! And you can do it (because then, so can I…)